13 June 2007

i must be crazy.

I really must be! Here’s the sitch: the exact day that I was offered my *CONTENT EDITED* I was asked to come in for an interview for a multi billion dollar Canadian fashion conglomerate called nygard which is the largest and most popular fashion company in Canada. They found me resume on monster and they thought that I would be perfect for a newly created events coordinator position. I would be in charge of all the fashion shows and personal appearances in the US for the owner, who is named peter nygard and he like a celebrity up north.

Anyway, for the past 2 months, I have been covertly going in to meet with people at their US headquarters, and I had several phone calls up to Winnipeg and Toronto as part of the process. Slowly I started to realize that it wasn’t the position for me. I even emailed the director of recruitment and told him that I think that I was going to pass on the opportunity, and he said “no, you are perfect for the job, how long do you need to tell your current job that you are leaving?” It was non-stop with this guy. He was recruiting me like I was this hot commodity (and, I mean, I am, yeah…), and he made it seem that he really wanted me as part of their team.

Throughout the process however, the way that the employees were speaking about this nygard character, it sounded so odd. Everyone just kept on saying that he was ‘intense’. ‘Intense’. That’s the only word they used. They just weren’t painting a great picture of the guy who I would be spending a great deal of time with. One employee even told me that she had an 8-hour conference call with him discussing, and I wish that I was joking, the shade of purple to use in a napkin. Ri-god-damn-diculous!

After doing some of my own investigative research, I found out more about the man and how the company runs, and how he is quasi-insane. He yells, he screams, he gives you a blackberry and emails you 24 hours a day and expects you to be at his beckon call, regardless of whether you are asleep, on vacation, wherever. At this point really I knew that I didn’t want the position, but I wanted to see what they would offer me. Would I pass on this opportunity because I am doing well right now or would sell my soul for the money?...it really all depended on what they were going to offer. Well, yesterday, I got the offer, and let me just tell you that it was a lot of money. A lot. Lot. Lot. Lot! It would have bumped me into the next tax bracket. Base salary, bonuses, clothing allowances, etc. But I’ve in positions where I hate the people who I work for. People who yell and scream, people are clinically insane, and I can’t do that to myself again. I can’t put myself in a position where I am miserable.

I turned down the job. I turned down a lot of money. Am I crazy? Maybe. Am I smart, probably.

No comments: